Organic sunflower seeds - Danish quality
Danish produced 100% organic black sunflower seeds for germination as microgreens.
Our organic sunflower seeds is carefully selected from sustainable and responsible sources to ensure the highest quality and purity.
Sunflowers are grown without the use of chemical pesticides or artificial fertilizers, which gives you a natural, healthy and environmentally friendly food experience.
Taste and application possibilities
As microgreens have sunflower seeds a nutty, slightly sweet flavor reminiscent of fresh raw sunflower seeds. The texture is crisp and juicy, making them an excellent addition to salads, sandwiches and wraps. They can also be used as a topping on soups and stews to add a tasty crunch. Their high nutritional content makes them a valuable source of protein and essential vitamins and minerals.
Black sunflower origin
Sunflower seeds come from the sunflower plant (Helianthus annuus), which originally originates from North America. The sunflower was cultivated by indigenous peoples of this region thousands of years ago, both for its edible seeds and for its beauty. The plant was introduced to Europe in the 16th century and is now cultivated worldwide, both for its seeds, which are highly valued in the diet, and for its oil, which is an important ingredient in many cooking and cosmetic products. Black sunflower seeds are a specific variety known for their dark hulls and high oil content.
How to grow black sunflower seeds as eco microgreens
Growing sunflower as a microgreen is quite simple and does not require much space or equipment.
Here is a basic guide:
- Prepare yours sprout hill: Fill a shallow, wide tray with coconut flour. The soil should be about 1-2 cm deep.
- Prepare your seeds: Black sunflower seeds should be soaked in water for about 12 hours before sowing to aid germination.
- Sow your seeds: Sprinkle the seeds evenly over the surface of the soil. You don't need to bury them in the ground - just press them down lightly so they have good contact with the ground.
- Cover the seeds: Cover the tray with another sprouting tray, lid or a dark cloth to keep light out and moisture in.
- Water regularly: Keep the soil constantly moist, but not waterlogged. If you use a lid or other tray, watering is not necessary.
- Wait for germination: After 3-4 days, your sunflower seeds should begin to germinate. Remove the covering material when the sprouts are about 2 cm high.
- Continue watering: Keep the soil moist while the sprouts are growing, if you use a sprouting tray with a tray, water in the tray.
- Harvest your microgreens: Sunflower microgreens are usually ready to harvest after about 10-14 days. Cut off the sprouts at soil level with clean scissors when they have developed their first set of “true” leaves (not the original sprout leaves).
Sunflower microgreens are delicious and easy to grow.
Read more on sunflowers here
Tested and certified organic seeds
We sell seeds that have been tested for the following harmful bacteria:
- Bacillus cereus
- Salmonella spp.
- Listeria monocytogenes
- Verotoxin-producing E. coli
Certified sale of organic seeds
We are certified by the Danish Agency for Agriculture to sell organic seeds